September in the Education-IT department is known as “I forgot my password month”. IT help-desk phones become swamped with password reset requests. Tips to remember your password:
- Use a word or phrase that invokes strong emotion. It is easy to remember something – funny, sad, angry, scary, painful, thrilling etc.
- Use something that you already know well. Do not dream up new random passwords.
- If it requires a number – use numbers that you know well. Or use numbers as replacement words or letters: 2gether; sk8board; i=one; l=one; o=zero; e=three; too,to=2; s=five etc.
- If you have to change your password regularly, cycle through a know list of items. e.g. birthdays in your family, rooms in your house: kitchen,dining,living-room,bedroom,bathroom,basement,etc.
- A string of words or sentence is more secure than any single word password.