Attending staff driver training at the HGEC today. The speaker’s previous job was to investigate why accidents happened. Some key points that I learned:
- No such thing as an “accident” – it is always human error due to not properly operating vehicles or equipment.
- Speed and conditions – ice, fog, snow, darkness – always drive according to conditions.
- Not being alert and thinking ahead.
- We are all accountable for each other – If we see something that is unsafe everyone is responsible to resolve it. One person in a car without a seat belt will be the one who kills those that are wearing seat belts.
- We are all responsible for knowing how to safely operate any equipment.
Roxy had one recommendation to I.T. department: All hardware should be stored in the trunk of a vehicle. Equipment in the cab is not secure and could easily kill occupants.